Tuesday, April 27, 2010

"Climb" over those TAKS tests...

Since my posts have been, what's the word, oh yeah, depressing, of late, I thought I'd post something fun, or in this case funny!

Yesterday was my final day at my Plano Elementary School before I, gasp, student teach in Dallas ISD (scary) next fall. It was super bittersweet and my kiddos even made me cards... not going to lie, I teared up in the safety of my car on the way home.

BUT... It was probably the best last day... ever! First of all, the kids have the dreaded TAKS test this week ( state test for the kiddos that they MUST pass to get to the next grade level, I know, pressure much?) With that said, the kids weren't exactly excited about learning something new the day before, so we stuck to lighter topics, aka how to relax before the test.

3rd grade was pretty status quo, discussion of good night sleep, eating a good breakfast, and bringing pencils and snacks.

4th grade was another story. I walk in and literally the first thing I hear is singing, which is bizarre. What are my 4th graders singing you ask... "The Climb." By Miley Cyrus. Acapella. Cue me laughing hysterically. Turns out 4th grade teachers thought by singing the song, the kids would know how to overcome obstacles (the TAKS test) and learn that life is a climb and blah, blah, blah. I thought it was hilarious. Not only did I get to hear my kids sing the song, but, oh yeah, the other four fourth grade classes. Each one better and better in my mind... some of those kids are pretty tone deaf (they sound pretty close to how I do :)

miley-cyrus-the-climb.png
The Miley song was pretty good, but probably the topper of the morning was one of the notes from my kids... "Miss Parsons, I like you in more ways than one." HAHA, creeper in the making, but once again, chuckles over here laughs every time I read it!

No comments: